Most of us agree that time is more valuable than money. Investing into your relationship doesn’t require loads of cash. With a little creativity you can build lasting memories that you will cherish for a lifetime (that sounds like a great return on investment)!
Out of the two of us, Blake is more of a saver, budget-conscious and frugal. I appreciate those qualities as it allowed him to purchase a home in his 20’s before we even met (which is no small feat in the city of San Diego!) While being sensitive to Blake’s thrifty side, we learned to devote time to each other and invest into our relationship without having to spend lots of money. Here are a few date ideas that I encourage you to enjoy with your sweetie!
- Watch the sunset. Nothing more romantic than watching the sunset in your sweetie’s arms.
- Get dressed up and go to a fancy restaurant. Wait, I know you’re thinking “I thought this was about not spending alot of money?” Go and just order dessert. You can enjoy the beautiful view and romantic ambiance without spending a fortune. Heck, you can even split a dessert to save cash (and calories).
- Watch a movie under the stars. You can set up a projector in your own backyard. Otherwise, many cities have outdoor movies offered in the warmer summer months.
- Attend an outside concert at a community park.
- Have a picnic.
- Go to the Farmer’s Market. Walk slowly through the aisle of vendors; Smell the fresh flowers and taste the ripe fruit samples.
- Play frisbee at the beach or park.
- Make dinner together (Extra credit if he does the dishes!)
- Stargaze. We live in the densely populated city of San Diego, but driving just 30 minutes east we can be in the mountains. Grab a blanket, start a camp fire and gaze into the beauty of the heavenly sky.
- Go to your favorite spot (park, coffee shop, whatever). Read scripture together and pray for one another.
- Have a game night. Growing up our family played games pretty often. With our competitive spirits, it got rowdy!! So get out your favorite games or find a new one. Pictionary anyone?
- Unleash your inner fashionista! Go to a thrift store and each person can pick out an outfit for another. Then you can wear that outfit to a lunch date.
- Visit a pumpkin patch. Pick out your favorite gourd and have a pumpkin carving contest!
- Challenge him to a water gun fight. (Keep an extra one hidden to score the victory).
- Play tourist for the day. Visit a new spot or explore places you haven’t been to in awhile. Capture the day’s adventures with lots of photos! Print your favorite snapshots at CVS or Costco.
- Get in the car and drive. I love the warm summer days when you can roll the windows down, blast country music and soak up the sun!
- Go on a long evening stroll through your neighborhood.
- Go to a high school football game together.
- Build a snowman and then enjoy a hot cup of cocoa.
- Go ice skating.
- Fly a kite.
- Soak in the jacuzzi. I don’t have a hot tub, but my parents do and they are kind enough to let us come over and use it. Maybe your family, neighbors or a friend have one you can use. Offer to house sit when they are out of town and its a win-win!
- Go for a bike ride.
- Go hiking.
- Look through old pictures together. I’m sentimental but looking back of pictures throughout the years reminds me of all God has brought me through.
- Babysit for a couple in your church. They get free babysitting and you can see how your significant other interacts with children.
- Tell each other why you like them. When was the last time you told your significant other all the things you cherish about them? Words of affirmation can’t be bought or sold but they are worth more than gold.
Leave a comment with your favorite inexpensive date ideas!